3 quarts water
1/4 cup bread crumbs (I used panko)
1 tablespoon butter
3 garlic cloves, minced and divided
1 1/2 cups of 2 inch diagonally cut asparagus
1 cup frozen green peas
6 oz uncooked fettuccine
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/3 cup finely chopped sweet onion
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/4 cup water
1 cup 1% milk
3 oz Neufchâtel cream cheese
1 oz Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated (about 1/4 cup packed)
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
1. Bring 3 quarts water to a boil in a Dutch oven.
2. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 garlic clove to pan; saute 1 minute. Add breadcrumbs; saute 3 minutes or until golden brown and toasted. Remove breadcrumb mixture from pan; wipe pan clean with paper towels.
3. Add asparagus and peas to boiling water; cook for 3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon. Rinse under cold water; drain.
4. Add pasta to boiling water; cook 10 minutes or until al dente. Drain and keep warm.
5. Heat olive oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onion and the remaining 2 garlic cloves; cook for 3 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Place flour in a small bowl; gradually whisk in water. Add water and milk to pan, stirring constantly with a whisk; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from heat; add cheese, salt, and pepper, stirrng until cheeses melt. Add pasta, asparagus, and peas; toss well. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and tarragon.