Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Pumpkin Project

We are very lucky to be having the most beautiful fall weather right now. As I walk in the morning I can see that the trees are beginning to change and I know this weather won't last long and I need to enjoy it while I can!
Sweet Meadow Farm Design
I finished most of my pumpkins this weekend and I'm happy with the way they turned out. They weren't hard but it just takes awhile with all the stain, sand, paint, sand, stain again with cinnamon...I learned (or relearned) an important antiquing lesson. I made a batch of the mini pumpkins that are sectioned off by thread. Be careful not to sand the thread! It breaks and you have to resew it!  I remembered that rule out after the second thread broke.
I also made progress on this wonderful bird with bittersweet design by Lynn Hosford. The finished piece will be a big pillow. The vines themselves are made from chenille yarn that I overdyed. Birds, berries and pumpkins...I love the combination.
Last weekend there was no entry fee to visit Rocky Mountain National Park, another wonderful place to visit pretty much any time of year, but especially in the fall. Son AJ and his girl Sasha got some hiking in and sent photos.
I'm glad they were able to take advantage of this opportunity! How lucky are we to live in a country that has such majestic, awe-inspiring landscapes?

12 comments:

annie said...

I love your pumpkins, I have never tried to sand cloth, I have done a bit of painting on fabric. I might need to give it a whirl. I love the bird, and the design. That's an amazing view of the mountains!

Green Creek Primitives said...

Pumpkins my favorite, yours turned out really well. There is a lot to making them I know, I made some real simple ones this year, lots of painting, sanding and staining, but worth it. I didn't get any of those you made done this year, I love those kind. Thanks for sharing, Vicky

Lil Raggedy Angie said...

Roberta , your punkins are beautiful, thanks for sharing them ! I m glad to hear you are enjoying fall ! I love the pic of your son the backdrop is BREATHTAKING ! HAVE A GREAT WEEK MY FRIEND! HUGS LIL RAGGEDYANGIE

Christine said...

Your pumpkins are wonderful - the stems sit so well on them!
And I agree 100% you are blessed to live in a country with awesome scenery and national parks that I'd love to visit!
Best wishes
Christine

Cat Haven Craft House said...

Love the pumpkins and your wonderful post today. Thanks.

Cat Nap Inn Primitives said...

love your pumpkins..and love the stitchery too..can't wait to see it all done.;)

cindy said...

i'd love a bowl full of those adorable pumpkins.... can you tell us what pattern you used?? thanks, cindy

Rock River Stitches said...

Love your pumpkins!!! I've been noticing a few trees here and there starting to turn in our area too!

Tammy

Raymond Homestead said...

Love the fall wool piece you are working on and the pumpkins are really cool!

TheCrankyCrow said...

Oh that stitchery has everything I love...GORGEOUS Roberta - It's like glue to my heart! And love, love, love your pumpkins!!! Are you going to be offering any up for sale to those of us who have pumpkin hoarding tendencies??? Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

Firecracker Kid said...

I love those punkins gal! We're having the beautiful weather too, but wow, I've always loved seeing those rocky kinda mountains. Majestic is right!
Hugs~Carol

ohiofarmgirl said...

I love your pumpkins too. They are so cute.
How did you attach the chenille yarn? It looks like something I would like to do! Dianntha