Monday, April 16, 2012

Mix It Up Monday

I'm once again joining Mix it up Monday on Flour Me With Love. First, I want to share a lesson I learned with you. Do not substitute Half and Half for Heavy Cream when making cheesecake. The result, although still edible, is not pretty.
Chicken Salad
This was my month to bring snacks for our Discipleship Division meeting at work. My co-worker Mary brought a carrot cake and cheese and crackers, so I wanted to bring something substantial but somewhat healthy, so I brought chicken salad on a bed of fruit.

Fruity Chicken Salad
 (from Cooks.Com)
3 1/2 cups cooked and chilled chicken breasts (I used almost two pounds of boneless breasts, cooked in water with 2 chicken bouillon cubes)
1 cup chopped celery (about 3 stalks)
1/3 cup almonds, chopped
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp curry powder
a few dashes of soy sauce
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp dill weed

Cook the chicken until tender.  Cool and cut into chunks. Add all ingredients and mix well.  Refrigerate to blend flavors.

Just before serving I added about 1/2 cup of sliced grapes. I've also added chopped apple. This is also a nice salad to serve at a luncheon served with slices of melon.

6 comments:

Cherry's Prairie Primitives said...

I love this recipe!! I can't wait to try it!!

Karen~The Barely There Primitive Bear said...

Wow, this looks so yummy, I want to make it! Thanks for the recipe.

Blessings~Karen

Trace4J said...

OH MY THAT LOOKS FABULOUS!!
Please save me some. :)
Hugs
Trace

www.grannytracescrapsandsquares.com

Lisa @ Flour Me With Love said...

This looks amazing! I love how you put the fruit on the bottom, I'm going to have to steal that idea, lol. Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

Oh and I also know you can't substitute half-n-half for heavy cream...mine wasn't a pretty picture either!

1890* said...

I'm leaving for the grocery store...recipe in hand!
Looks & sounds delicious - I have been looking for a fruity & zesty chicken salad
I have always waited for leftover prepared chicken to make salad.-Your boil with bullion step makes so much sense for tender chicken ;0)*YUMMO
*Thank you so much

TheCrankyCrow said...

This is so similar to my curry chicken salad which is an all-time LOVE...by me and everyone who tries it.....My favorite way is to serve it on little mini croissants ..... The best!! Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin