Sunday, February 20, 2011

Adventures with Friends

We have been blessed by a week of spring time weather! It gave me spring fever, for sure, so I jumped at the chance for an outing with good friends and fellow craft enthusiasts, Leslie and Jo. Our first stop was Quilter's Station. I know, I was just there a couple of weeks ago, but this trip gave us time for some serious shopping. I picked up Maggie Bononomi's new book. It seems like everyone has been commenting on it and as usual, it is full of her wonderful ideas, projects and doodles. Also picked up another Blackbird Design book that has a lot of needlework projects and some new fabric for a little project in the works.
Quilter's Station Finds
After a quick bite at a nearby Mexican restaurant to fortify us for more shopping, we headed into the country east of Independence, MO, to find a wool shop Leslie had heard about at a recent jewelry show (you never know where you'll find a good lead). A short time later, we pulled up to home of Janice Johnson and Wooly Woolen.
"Hooker Parking Only"

A Welcoming Entry

We entered the large outbuilding behind Janice's home and found a treasure chest of wool and incredible rugs. This is only about half of what's available. The colors were amazing and the selection outstanding.

Every Shade Imaginable
In addition to all the wool, there were about 20 finished rugs. Janice graciously gave us permission to take photos but I didn't want to infringe on her hospitality by photographing them since many are her own designs, but check out her website at Wooly Woolen to see some of her rugs and more of her shop.

Spinning Vignette
In addition to all the beautiful rugs, various vignettes like the one above give the shop a cozy feel.

Plaids, Tweeds, Textures
I'm amazed this shop was almost in our backyard and we didn't find it sooner, but now that we know, we'll definitely return.

2 comments:

Raymond Homestead said...

What a bunch of beautiful wools! I wish that was my own secret stash! :-)

WoolenSails said...

I would love to go to those stores, not much in my area.
I usually hit the good ones when we head north.

Debbie