Sunday, February 13, 2011

New Technique

Well, new to me! I had a busy week. I just learned that I have a new duty at work that I am very excited about. I'll be the point of contact for people in our church who are interested in tutoring at our inner city partner schools. Very exciting opportunity to help the teachers and give the kiddos valuable one on one attention. So I spent extra time at work last week trying to get quickly up to speed on the needs in the schools and the training that will be required of participants. However, some time ago I had signed up to take a punch needle class at Quilter's Station, so I headed over to Lee's Summit as soon as I left work on Tuesday for the evening class. 

I took a punch needle class a few years ago but never ended up doing much so I thought a refresher class would be a good idea.  However, I quickly realized I had forgotten more than I knew (the bevel on the punch goes towards me?). Getting the technique right was a little tricky and it seemed like I pulled out as much thread as I left in, but it was fun and we all had a fun evening learning about this addicting craft. Almost all of us were working on a Brenda Gervais design and they were all wonderful!

Here's the little bit I managed to complete:
Trick or Tweet by Brenda Gervais

Right Side of Design
If you aren't familiar with this pattern, this is a three dimensional design. When you're done with the design, it's sewn onto a calico backing, stuffed and attached to a little stand. Brenda uses a tiny vintage oil can and I managed to find one at a recent trip to Greenwood, Mo. 

Well, on to my Simply Primitives offerings for this month, but as soon as they're complete I'm going to finish up this project before I forget the technique again!





2 comments:

Raymond Homestead said...

I always wanted to learn how to punch needle but never have.

Unknown said...

I love all of Brenda's patterns. I got permission to blow one of her patterns up and made a hooked rug. It is my favorite rug.
Good luck on your new duties.