Saturday, March 26, 2011

Friday Finds

I usually try to get my hours in at work between Monday and Thursday so I can run errands and catch up at home on Friday, but this week I had meetings at a couple of the schools we work with so that wasn't possible. And what a great day it was! We were able to make connections with Kansas City Community Gardens, which has a great school garden program. Andrea, who coordinates the program, brought out plants and seeds and worked with all the classes to plant the raised beds at the school. Here are photos from a couple of the kindergarten classes hard at work.

Digging Trenches
Volunteer Rich Helps with Seed Spacing


Carefully Covering Seeds
Notice the winter coats. That's Kansas in the spring for you. It was a brisk 40 degrees but at least we didn't get the rain predicted. The kids planted broccoli, peas, carrots and cabbage; all plants that can take a little cold. I believe Andrea is overseeing the planting of 140 gardens at schools and hospitals, so we're glad the weather cooperated and we were able to complete the planting on Friday. I'm looking forward to checking back with the school and seeing how everything does!

And for my find...my time on Fridays usually involves shopping, so I will try to include a photo of something unique that I come across on Friday. However, this week I found something else.

John Brown Statue
I love reading and learning about our country's history, especially during the 1700's and 1800's when the country was expanding and becoming the United States. I arrived at the second school I was visiting in Kansas City, KS a little early, so I drove around the area a little and came upon this statue, which is now in the middle of a mostly residential area.  As I mentioned, it was really cold so I didn't get out of my car, but next time in the area I'll check when the statue was commissioned. Kansas and Missouri were really in the thick of heated conflict during the Civil War and I think this statue certainly couldn't have sat well with our Missouri neighbors!

No comments: