Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Spring Peepers?

Here in Kansas City we have been teased with a few spring like days and now I'm ready for winter to be over and done with. Many of our local garden centers have open houses next week, but recently I was cheered by another harbinger of spring---the lovely sound of spring peepers.
Sounds of Spring
Over the past week I've had a couple of night-time meetings at the church. Last week as I walked to my car I thought I heard the faint sound of the little frogs. Last night I parked closer to the pond on the church property and, sure enough, there they were, peeping away even though it was only about 40 degrees outside. I always forget how early in the season they begin, but they are such a welcome sound on these early, dreary days when everything is still brown and it's too wet to work in the yard.

No comments: