Sunday, April 10, 2011

Down on the Farm

While in Texas we also spent a few days visiting my in-laws on their little "ranch". They've got a variety of animals, but the chickens really fascinate me.
 Once they're out of their coop in the morning they busily patrol the grounds, occasionally stopping for a photo op.


We were with them last year when they purchased these as chicks. There are lots of hazards for chickens and my in-laws have learned never to leave their property without securing the girls back in their coop. Despite Winnie's vigilence, sometimes a hawk or coyote manages to grab one.
My in-laws only have the chickens for the eggs they lay, so they become attached and losing one is always sad. At the end of they day they all return to the coop and roost. Some go to their nests and lay eggs. One is a very bad mother and just lets her eggs drop as she sits on the roost.
The girls are unbelievably productive and we were able to bring home a few dozen of their fresh eggs.

The yolks are a much darker yellow than our usual grocery store eggs. I don't know if its because of the variety or because the chickens are free range.

2 comments:

Wendy @ Ravenwood Whimzies said...

I adore chickens too! Some day I'm getting them...hopefully next year! We've been looking at coop designs and waiting to have an unbusy summer!
Hop you get your swap package soon and enjoy it!

Debbie Geiger said...

I just found your site and love it!