Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Spinning my Wheels

I assembled a few projects over the weekend so I could spend Monday sewing. Working for a church, Easter week tends to be very busy so we get Easter Monday off from work. Well, after busily stitching all the stems and leaves on my project, I decided I really didn't like the way they looked. I was very frustrated with myself because I had talked myself into using this wool and I should have known better. I have the same theory about shopping for clothes---if I try something on and have to talk myself into buying it, no matter how great a deal it is chances are when I get it home I'll regret the purchase.
Too thready!
I hoped that closely stitching the wool would minimize the threadiness and give the leaves and stems a cool, primitive look, but to me they just looked messy and I was afraid the fraying would continue, so now I'll have to pull out all those little stitches and begin again! The phrase "anything worth doing is worth doing right" kept running through my head. Lesson learned? Hopefully! I still got to spend a day stitching and planning projects and that was fun and rejuvenating. I was fortunate enough to win Kathy Schmitz's recent giveaway and received a premier copy of Primitive Quilts and Projects.
Thanks so much Kathy! What a great magazine! I often browse through quilting magazines and buy one from time to time because it will have a wool project or great story about a quilt shop I'd like to visit. I'm so glad there is now a magazine that includes projects for those of us who love to do wool applique!

3 comments:

Wendy @ Ravenwood Whimzies said...

Good morning Roberta - I had to rip some things out last night that I had been working on....I think it is just part of needlecrafting! LOL Have a good day and hope you are safe from the storms!

Raymond Homestead said...

I have worked with wool like that too. It can be real frustrating! Sometimes I'll leave it and sometimes I don't. Mostly I leave it just because I don't want to redo it, as you know, it's not fun!

Lauralee @ The Eclectic Stitcher said...

I find that when working with the more loosely woven wool if you use just a bit of fray check on the edges after you have cut the piece out it helps control the fraying. But I think your piece looks primitive as it is ~ not perfect, but primitive is not intended to be perfect!